Why might you want a doula?
One of the greatest benefits of having a doula at your birth is that it means you have someone there supporting you continuously throughout your entire labour until your are settled in with your baby after birth. Doulas benefits families during childbirth by providing physical support (different comfort/coping techniques, position changes, etc.), emotional support (listening, reassuring, encouraging), and informational support (explaining what is happening and helping the couple gather information for informed decision-making).
Doulas are also a benefit to the woman’s partner as they can suggest additional ways that the partner can support her, provide the partner with opportunities to take breaks when needed, and help the partner participate and be involved in the birth to his/her own comfort level. This support for the partner frees them up to be more present to enjoy the birth experience alongside the mother. Research also shows that women express more satisfaction with their partner during the birth if a doula was present.
Want more information? Check out the doula support resources here!
Birth Doula Support Package includes:
- 2-3 prenatal appointments (to get to know you, go over your desires/expectations, and to address any questions or concerns that you may have)
- Being on-call for your labour 2 weeks before your due date until your baby is born
- Continuous physical and emotional labor support plus 1-2 hours support immediately postpartum
- 1-2 postpartum appointments (to reflect on the birth, offer help with breastfeeding if necessary and provide additional support for you, your partner, and your baby)
- Phone and email support throughout pregnancy and for 6 weeks after
- Access to lending library of pregnancy, birth, and parenting books
- List of local prenatal and postnatal resources